Marital relationship breakdown is generally a very difficult time for the parties and the children. The Family Solicitor therefore needs not only to be a solicitor but also sometimes a friend and counsellor. At Alexander Rose, we will be able to provide this whilst also providing you with a professional, objective view and retaining your overall aims in perspective.
There are five facts that a party can use to establish the marriage has broken down irretrievably. The fact is used merely as evidence that the marriage has broken down.
The purpose of a divorce is to terminate a marriage between two people. However, you can only obtain a divorce if you have a legal reason for the court to then decide.
- Your partner has committed adultery and you find it intolerable to continue living with him/her.
- Your partner has been abusive or behaved in such a way that it would be unreasonable to continue living with him/her.
- Your partner has purposefully left you for a continuous period of at least 2 years or more.
- You have been living separately from your partner for two years or more and they consent to the divorce being granted.
- You have been living separately from your partner for five years or more, whether or not your partner agrees to the divorce.